Planning a hearty, filling dinner in the summer can be tricky.
It’s hot and humid, and so the thought of cooking isn’t exactly attractive. And when it’s really hot, eating something heavy and rich isn’t very appealing, either.
But we don’t need to tell you that eating is, you know, important. Luckily, there are plenty of dishes that are healthy and satisfying, but also light enough to enjoy on a summer night.
And the perfect ingredient for some summer fair? Zucchini.
These squashes are juicy and fresh enough to be refreshingly summery, but substantial enough to be filling. They’re great for using in the place of heavier, starchier things, and can be used for everything from French fries to taco shells.
This recipe creates perfect little “boats” made from zucchini that are then filled with a delicious combination of healthy, summery veggies, a blend of herbs, and a sprinkling of cheese and bread crumbs (because you need something besides veggies).
Check it out below, and watch the video to get the technique down pat.
And be sure to SHARE the recipe with friends, and see if you can put some personal twists on it!
- 2 small to medium zucchinis
- 2 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2cup onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsps. fresh parsley, chopped
1⁄2tsp. salt 1⁄4tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
1⁄4cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish 1⁄8cup Romano cheese, grated
- Trim stem ends from zucchini, then slice about 1/4 off lengthwise, plus a small sliver lengthwise from the bottom so the zucchini lays flat. Dice up excess.
- Score the inside of the large piece with a paring knife, then scoop out the inside with a melon baller or small spoon. Do not to puncture through to the bottom, as it should look like a canoe.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a pan. Add onion, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, and diced zucchini excess. Mix and sauté for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and mix in oregano, basil, parsley, salt, black pepper, and cheeses. Stir until combined.
- Fill each zucchini boat with the vegetables, pressing in lightly. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 375 °F. Don't let the zucchini holders get too limp.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with extra cheese, and serve!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.