PETS

Arizona Family Sends A Very Important Message To Dog Owners Everywhere

by Anna Halkidis
Anna is a native New Yorker who loves concerts, travel, good coffee, and her Jack Russell terrier, Charlie. She’s a multimedia journalist who earned her master’s degree from the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. Her true passion for telling stories keeps her inspired.

While chocolate is probably the most-well known danger to dogs, there are many more products that can put pooches in harm’s way.

Whether it’s certain products commonly found in a house, such as a wine cork, or things growing in your backyard, like the poisonous mushroom that sadly killed Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s puppy, it’s important to spot them out to keep your dog far away.

Jeni Hargrove Connor and her family almost lost their 1-year-old Labrador retriever, Dancer, after she consumed one of these dangerous products.

Connor noticed that the pooch had gone through a gym bag and found a big container of sugar-free gum. Dancer ate about 25 to 30 pieces and quickly became dangerously ill. As her family rushed her to the Seville Veterinary and Gilbert Emergency Animal Clinic in Gilbert, AZ, she even suffered a seizure.

The reason? The gum contained Xylitol, a sweetener that is very toxic for dogs.

And this ingredient is found in a lot more than sugar-free gum. It’s also in various candies, cough drops, toothpaste, peanut butter, breath strips, mouthwash, and certain medications. (Preventive Vet features a detailed list of products containing this sweetener.)

Thankfully, vets were able to save the lucky pooch, but the family wants to spread awareness with a special Facebook video shown below.

Please SHARE to keep dogs everywhere safe!

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.