In December 2018, it was reported that a 69-year-old woman from Seattle had suffered a seizure and died a few weeks later.
But it’s the root cause of her death that is making readers take note.
At first, the unnamed woman’s medical team suspected she had a brain tumor. But during surgery, the operating room doctors realized they were simply removing dead brain tissue.
They now believe she’d been infected by a deadly amoeba that lives in warm soil and water and gradually kills brain cells.
One month after her diagnosis, the woman died.
As it turned out, the woman had been using a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.
For about one whole year, it’s believed that the type of water she used to fill the neti pot led to her contracting the dangerous amoeba.
It’s an extremely rare occurrence, but due to climate change, it’s one that could begin posing a greater threat to more people across the United States.
As you’ll see in this clip, experts are now urging neti pot users to be extremely careful.
Thumbnail image via: DeeperBlue.com
Footage provided by KCPQ Seattle
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.