I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the lookout for the perfect chocolate fudge cake recipe. Boxed mixes usually turn out just fine, but there’s no beating the satisfaction of making a delicious cake from scratch.
In the pursuit of awesome chocolate cake, there’s no recipe too unusual or outlandish. In the past, we’ve tried everything from traditional cookbook techniques to a unique recipe that includes red wine.
The latest recipe we have our eye on is even more nontraditional. Instead of classic ingredients, this tasty chocolate fudge cake calls for an old-fashioned can of tomato soup!
We love tomato soup as part of a savory light lunch, but never thought of it as a key ingredient in a sweet dessert… until now!
As it turns out, we’ve all been selling tomato soup short; this powerhouse meal can add creamy richness to your favorite cake batter.
Print out the recipe below, then try making this tasty and unconventional treat at home!
3⁄4cups muscovado (brown) sugar
- 4 eggs
1⁄3cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 can condensed cream of tomato soup
- 1 cup boiled water
- Combine brown sugar, butter, and half of the tomato soup. Cream together well.
- Add in eggs and remaining tomato soup, then continue mixing.
- Sift in flour and cocoa powder, mix in well. Add boiled water.
- Divide cake batter between two matching round cake tins.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 °F.
- Frost cake with your own frosting recipe, or combine 1 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 stick butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup hot water. Heat together until melted, then frost cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.