Sometimes it pays to have police patrolling your neighborhood late at night!
Brooke Ford was babysitting a 2-year-old named Avery in Kokomo, Indiana. It was just before 2 a.m. when Brooke realized there were flashing lights outside the house. She was scared and shaking when she came to the door, according to the Kokomo Tribune.
The garage, which was attached to the house, had caught fire. Smoke was filling the house.
“I just thought it was my cigarette that I hadn’t put out,” Brooke said.
She had no idea what was happening in the garage or outside. Luckily, a police officer did.
Police Sgt. Joe Culbertson, who was patrolling nearby, saw flames coming from the back and immediately ran to the door.
And all that was happening while little Avery was upstairs! Avery’s mother later explained that her stairs were right next to the garage. Had Sgt. Joe not seen the fire, this heroic tale would’ve ended very differently.
But Sgt. Joe was quick on his feet: He pounded on the front door and immediately ran inside for the toddler.
Although he was quick to remark that is was simply his job, Avery’s mom and babysitter both agreed he was a hero.
Be sure to watch this heartwarming tale, and please SHARE it with your friends on Facebook!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.