When I was a kid, I made a lot of unusual pet requests. For example, I asked for an alligator for my fourth birthday.
I had a small stuffed alligator that I liked to carry around (who I creatively named “Alligator,” by the way) and I thought adding a live alligator to my family’s brood of parakeets was a totally excellent idea. I wrote Santa a long letter with my request for an alligator. “He can live in the pond in our backyard,” I carefully wrote to Mr. Clause using my very best penmanship.
Sadly, Santa didn’t grant my wish, but that didn’t stop me from wanting a pet that I could bring in for show and tell that would make my classmates’ cats and dogs look commonplace in comparison.
One year I even asked for a mini horse! My parents once again denied my requests, but I still love mini horses.
Some of these miniature horses are among the world’s smallest, but don’t tell them that! They think they’re just as big and mighty in size and in heart as their draft horse and stallion cousins.
For the uninitiated, miniature horses are typically less than than 34–38 inches tall, and make for friendly and excellent family pets, companions, and therapy animals.
An ongoing debate exists over whether or not a miniature horse should have horse or pony characteristics, and dwarfism and the related health concerns that go along with the condition is a concern.
Regardless, mini horses are beloved and bred worldwide. Keep in mind that they’d personally insist that they’re not technically “little”…just fun-sized.
Please SHARE these adorable mini horses with very, very big hearts!
1. "My name is Einstein, and I just may be the world's smallest horse. Though I wouldn't know, as I feel pretty mighty!"
2. "Actually, I believe that I, Thumbelina, am the world's tiniest horse. Though like you, I can't tell why people seem to say this..."
3. "The ladies love me."
4. "You can always lean on me, puppy friend."
5. "Let's go for a gallop, neigh-bor!"
6. "Where would I stay in a hotel? The bridal suite."
7. "I can scale a fence as good as any show pony!"
8. "How many horses do you know of that are instantly road trip ready?"
9. "Why yes, I would love to cuddle."
10. "Where ya hiding our treats, little girl? Fess up!"
11. "Don't hate us because you aren't us."
12. "Let's go on the run like Bonnie and Clyde!"
13. "We make great seeing-eye animals, always there to guide our human friends!"
14. "Did somebody say APPLE?"
15. "Come on, Pongo, let's pony up."
16. "So close yet so far!"
17. "Sweater weather is better when we're together..."
Please SHARE these big-hearted mini horses with someone who needs a smile today!