entertainment

‘The Voice Australia’ Allegedly Trapped Audience Members In The Recording Studio For 9 Hours

by Kim Wong-Shing
Kim Wong-Shing is a staff writer at LittleThings. Her work spans beauty, wellness, pop culture, identity, food, and other topics. She is a contributing writer at NaturallyCurly, and her work has also appeared in HelloGiggles, Lifehacker, Wear Your Voice Magazine, and other outlets. She grew up in Philadelphia, attended Brown University, and is now based in New Orleans.

American fans of The Voice may or may not know that our cousins down under have their own version of the show, The Voice Australia. This week, the show is facing a one-of-a-kind controversy. Audience members claim that the reality show held them “against their will” during a recent taping.

The Voice Australia is in the midst of filming for its eighth season. Hopeful contestants are battling it out in blind auditions, which fans can sign up to attend as part of audience.

Radio host Grant Denyer reported that audience members were stuck in the studio for nine hours, per Country Living. The crew was running several hours over schedule, and the audience had no choice but to wait it out.

“The staff had to lock all the doors to the recording studio and they manned the doors and refused to let anybody out,” Grant said.

Audience members who were there that evening have confirmed Grant’s claims, though some assert that it wasn’t nearly that bad. A spokeswoman for the show says no one was held against their will.

Reality shows often face their fair share of drama, but kidnapping audience members is a new one.

In a bizarre turn of events, audience members at a recording of The Voice Australia say they were held against their will for a nine-hour-long taping session. Radio host Grant Denyer reported the news on his breakfast show on Wednesday.

The Voice Australia is Down Under’s very own version of the reality TV show. The judges this year are Kelly Rowland, Boy George, Delta Goodrem, and Guy Sebastian.

For each season of the show, fans can sign up to be audience members at the blind auditions. The recordings are supposed to last for six hours or so, and audience members are given snacks and water.

This time, though, taping ran over. Some audience members allege that they were held against their will.

“They were running three hours over and the audience had already been there for nearly nine hours,” Grant said on his radio show.

“It got so bad that the audience… started booing.”

According to Grant, people would shout “boo” every time the coaches pressed their buzzers.

To make things worse, staff members blocked audience members from leaving the studio.

“The staff had to lock all the doors to the recording studio and they manned the doors and refused to let anybody out,” Grant said.

“People were trying to storm out and leave and say, ‘You can’t stop me!’ And they were saying, ‘Yes we can!'”

 

At this point, some people began to panic and call the authorities.

“They were calling [the police] at the exits saying, ‘I’m being held against my will at Studio 3 in Fox studios at The Voice set,'” Grant said.

Grant didn’t reveal the source behind his information. However, now that the report is out there, audience members who were there that night have begun to tell their side of the story.

One audience member, John, called in to speak to another Australian radio host to agree with what Grant said. He says the recording was “traumatizing” and “hectic.”

“We got there at 2 o’clock and it was only supposed to go until 7:30,” John said. “At 10:30 I walked out, and it was still going.”

John was only given one bottle of water and a bag of chips during his nine hours on the set. He didn’t hear any booing from the audience, though.

Other audience members have commented on social media with mixed experiences.

Facebook user Daniel King acknowledged that the recording went way overtime, but he says nobody was prevented from leaving the studio during breaks in filming.

However, several others have asserted that they did, indeed, have the experience that Grant described, leading some people to speculate that perhaps different audience sections had different experiences.

A spokeswoman for The Voice Australia made a statement to news.com.au:

“The records for the Knockout round did run over, as often filming does, but no one was held against their will and was free to leave as soon as it was safe to do so. The studio doors were not locked nor were exits blocked. Our priority and responsibility is the safety of the audience and crew in a working studio.”

Hmmm… what a strange, strange story.