dog

The Rock Sends Out Important Message For All Dog Owners

by Anna Halkidis
Anna is a native New Yorker who loves concerts, travel, good coffee, and her Jack Russell terrier, Charlie. She’s a multimedia journalist who earned her master’s degree from the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. Her true passion for telling stories keeps her inspired.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson had to put his French bulldog pup, Brutus, to rest this week after the puppy swallowed a poisonous mushroom.

On Tuesday, Johnson shared a tribute to Brutus on social media along with an important message for all pet owners.

“As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return,” Johnson wrote. “I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play.”

Aside from certain mushrooms, which can even be deadly for humans, there are also several foods that are toxic for dogs (especially the ones on our top 10 no-no list). That’t why, as Johnson pointed out, it’s important to be wary of what your pooch is exposed to in order to prevent a tragedy like this one or like the Wisconsin family who lost their dog after she ate gum.

“What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members,” added Johnson, who adopted Brutus and Hobbs just a few weeks ago with his longtime girlfriend, Lauren Hashian.

See Johnson’s important message in full below.

A few weeks ago, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson adopted two French bull dogs, Brutus and Hobbs.

The minute he brought them home, Johnson wanted to potty train them. But, when he left them in his backyard, they both ran into the pool.

While Hobbs instantly started to doggy paddle, Brutus started to sink.

Johnson quickly dove into the pool to save little Brutus.

Unfortunately, he wouldn’t be able to be Brutus’ savior again weeks later.

While playing in the backyard this week with Hobbs, Brutus ate a mushroom. It turned out to be deadly.

Johnson and his longtime girlfriend, Lauren Hashian, had to let him go.

“At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace,” Johnson wrote on Instagram along with the below photo.

“As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members,” he added.

He also thanked Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West of the Animal Medical Center At Cooper City along with the whole staff.

Through his social media post, Johnson is helping to raise awareness for other pet owners. His devastating loss proves just how easy it is for dogs to consume something deadly. That’s why it’s important to keep a close eye on them and never let them eat something that could potentially harm them.

Please SHARE to help educate other dog owners!