Every week on LittleThings’ Facebook Live show Slice, we challenge food experts to create delicious and easy-to-make dinners for less than $12. This time, we invited to the studio Chef Vinny Silva, who is the executive chef and owner of Vinny’s Steak N Subs in Harrison, New Jersey.
Chef Vinny is self taught; he gained experience by cooking for his friends and family. He tells LittleThings: “I was inspired by my late mother’s passion for cooking. I made a decision to follow my dream by cashing out my last savings to purchase my own food truck, and the rest is history!”
Chef Vinny shared his culinary expertise with the LittleThings family by preparing a gourmet meal for less than $12 — and in less than 20 minutes.
The chef wisely chose to feature his famous “Balsamic Chic” sub, which he describes as a “simple twist to a classic sub.” The sandwich is loaded with fresh, all-natural ingredients that will make you not want to share (though the recipe makes enough for two, just in case you do!).
- Chicken breast – $3.99
- Fresh mozzarella – $2.49
- Red onion – $.59
- Stem tomato – $.50
- Butter lettuce – $1.49
- Italian rolls – $2.50
- Total = $11.56
You will also need a few items from your pantry, such as balsamic reduction, olive oil, Vinny’s Jerzy Rub (or whatever rub you have available at home), and black pepper.
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella
1⁄4red onion, sliced
- 1 stem tomato
- 6 butter-lettuce leaves
- 2 6-inch fresh Italian rolls
- 2 Tbsps. balsamic reduction
- 1 Tbsp. Vinny's Jerzy rub
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil (to taste)
- Slice a chicken breast into two pieces, and pat dry before firmly applying rub to each side. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place chicken in pan over medium heat and cook until the edges are opaque (about 10 minutes).
- Thinly slice onions, tomatoes, and mozzarella.
- Place onions, lettuce, and tomato on the roll before placing chicken and mozzarella on top.
- Drizzle mozzarella with balsamic reduction and enjoy!