Most people think of turkey as the essential Thanksgiving dish, but no feast is complete without the equally important side dishes. After all, on what other days of the year can pumpkin pie be considered both a side dish and a dessert?!
Choosing the perfect side dishes to accompany and complement your turkey is no easy feat; luckily, chef Vanessa Cantave is here to show you how to make one of her favorite seasonal sides: brioche stuffing.
Made with Italian sausage, roasted chestnuts, and sautéed mushrooms and finished off with Eggland’s Best eggs, this savory stuffing is practically a meal on its own. Vanessa’s recipe is a sophisticated take on the classic Thanksgiving dish that guests are guaranteed to fill their plates with.
Thanksgiving may traditionally be all about the turkey, but after your guests get a taste of this sausage stuffing, your feast will be all about the sides.
Check out Vanessa’s brioche stuffing recipe below, and don’t forget to SHARE her epic creation with friends and family who love to cook.
- 4 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 loaf brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup roasted, shelled chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, stems removed
1⁄2cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
1⁄2tsps. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Scatter the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes, until golden brown, tossing once. Let cool completely.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Drain the sausage on a paper-towel-lined plate and let cool.
- In the same skillet, melt 2 tbsps. butter. Add the onion and chestnuts and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until soft. Cover and chill.
- Slice all the mushrooms. In a skillet, sauté them over medium heat with 2 tbsps. butter for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Butter a shallow, 3-quart baking dish. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add the broth. Stir in the sausage, onion-chestnut mixture, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Add the bread, and toss until evenly distributed.
- Transfer the bread to the prepared dish, and dot with remaining 2 tbsps. butter. Bake for 40 minutes, until stuffing is hot and the top is golden brown.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.