“I don’t think I’ve ever posted a BE AWARE post before,” Andrea Pergola wrote on Facebook. “But after today I think this is super important.”
While collecting tree branches as part of his volunteer work, 15-year-old Logan felt something sting his wrist. As the minutes passed, a strange red grid-like mark appeared on his skin.
The rash spread up his arm and to his chest — and the burning sensation became unbearable. Logan felt dizzy, his face went pale, and he was in serious pain. Andrea washed the affected area and rubbed garlic on it (which can pull venom out of bug stings), but nothing worked.
Logan’s grandfather located the bug — a “cute” and fuzzy caterpillar — then put on gloves and placed it in a baggie. Andrea started to research what type of caterpillar it could be.
It didn’t take long to discover her son had been the victim of one of the most poisonous caterpillars in North America. She needed to get him to the ER, and fast.
“Please research this caterpillar, be aware of it and make your kids aware of it,” Andrea wrote on Facebook. “It is not native to Florida, but to Texas, and just happens to live here now. Please if you are stung or your kid is stung get to the ER and let them treat you. I can assure you — we didn’t realize he had been stung so many times and normal over-the-counter Benadryl would not have treated this at home.”
Watch the video below to learn more about this highly dangerous insect, and see how Logan is doing today.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.