The next time you prep a big Italian feast for your family, why not pair your main course with a side of delicious sweet potato garlic knots?
We love ordinary garlic knots, but we have to admit, they aren’t the healthiest. We love the idea of kicking them up a nutritional notch by adding some tasty and vitamin-packed sweet potatoes into the mix!
Sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest root veggies around. According to the Mayo Clinic, they are chockfull of vitamins A and C, and also contain lots of potassium.
Even better, sweet potatoes are delicious and make a tasty addition to lots of recipes — like these yummy sweet potato breakfast boats.
Our sweet potato garlic knots are no exception; the starchy veggie adds lots of flavor (and plenty of nutritional value) to ordinary bread dough.
These chewy knots pair perfectly with a classic red-sauce feast of pasta and salad, or they make a delicious standalone snack!
Scroll through to print out the recipe below!
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
1⁄4tsps. active dry yeast
3⁄4cup warm water
1⁄4cups peeled sweet potatoes
3⁄4cup white flour
- 5 tbsps. olive oil, divided
1⁄2tsps. sea salt, divided
- To taste additional olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄3cup parsley, minced
- Combine maple syrup, yeast, and warm water. Stir them together and set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam sweet potatoes until soft, then cut them into chunks, and purée chunks in food processor.
- Leave potatoes in food processor, then add flour, yeast mixture, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and half the sea salt. Pulse your food processor until smooth dough begins to form.
- Knead dough on a floured surface, then roll out flat.
- Cut dough into 1-inch strips. Roll, then twist each strip into a rope of dough. Tie each rope into a knot.
- Lay knots out on a lined baking sheet, and coat with olive oil. Bake 10 to 14 minutes at 375 °F.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 tbsps. of your olive oil, remaining sea salt, garlic, and parsley. Sauté for several minutes.
- When knots are done baking, paint them with your garlic sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.