On a chilly midwinter day, nothing warms my belly and my soul faster than a piping hot bowl of chili — especially if it has a little kick to it!
After all, when everything is icy for miles around, usually a hearty stew is exactly what you need, maybe with a side of these cheesy cornbread muffins!
But as the winners of chili cook-offs around the country can attest , half the fun of cooking is having your own signature recipe. Some people trade out traditional beef for chicken, others only use smoky chipotles. It’s an art form, and everyone has their own secret.
But if you ask us, the finest chili recipe of them all takes its inspiration from mole poblano, a Mexican dish known for an unusual secret ingredient… chocolate!
Check out the recipe below to learn how to make this delicious dish, and don’t forget to SHARE on Facebook!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 lg. chopped onion
- 4 tsps. minced garlic
- 2 tsps. salt
- 2 Tbsps. chili powder
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans
1⁄2Tbsps. tomato paste
- 1 jalapeño, halved
- Shredded cheese and sour cream to garnish
- Begin browning ground meat in large pan.
- Add onion and garlic, mix well.
- Continue cooking until all the meat is brown.
- Add cumin, salt, and chili powder. Mix well.
- Transfer meat and seasonings to a slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans, mix well.
- Top with halved jalapeño peppers.
- Cook on high setting for 4-5 hours.
- In the last hour, remove the peppers.
- Add chocolate. As it melts, mix thoroughly into the chili.
- Continue cooking for another 30 minutes or so.
- Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.