Holidays are a great time to enjoy delicious meals with family and friends. One of my favorite holidays, the Fourth of July, is arguably the biggest celebration of summer.
It is also the perfect opportunity to put your hosting skills to the test and try out fun seasonal recipes. Whether you prefer to keep it classic with hamburgers and hot dogs, or you’re looking to get a little more adventurous in the kitchen, nothing says Independence Day like a barbecue.
Fire up your grill, because in this episode of Hostess Next Door, Vanessa Cantave shares her favorite Fourth of July appetizers and side dishes.
Kick off your meal with grilled halloumi and cherry tomatoes, drizzled with a fresh basil mint puree. The melted cheese combined with the summery herb garnish is a treat for your taste buds. Your guests are guaranteed to love this grown-up grilled cheese.
One of the hardest parts about planning a meal for a party is deciding what side dish to make. Luckily, Vanessa’s take on pasta salad is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Add shrimp and fresh corn to this barbecue staple for a new twist on a fan favorite. The dish bursts with flavor, thanks to the chipotle chili seasoning, lemon zest, and herbs. In fact, it might just overshadow your main course.
Finally, we can’t forget about dessert. These red, white, and blue parfaits will add a hearty dose of festivity to your meal.
Find the full pasta salad recipe below, and be sure to SHARE these Fourth of July ideas with your friends on Facebook!
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked, strained, and cooled
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 2 tbsps. minced shallot or red onion
- 2 tbsps. champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1⁄2tsp. grated lemon zest
1⁄3cup extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄8tsp. chipotle chili powder
1⁄4cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsps. chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- For garnish freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium nonreactive mixing bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and chili powder.
- Add the corn kernels and mix together.
- Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, then add to the corn mixture.
- Add the pasta, shrimp, tarragon, and parsley.
- Mix gently to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cracked black pepper.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.