The warm weather, long days, and relaxed schedules make summer the perfect time to throw a party. Whether you opt for a casual barbecue with friends or a sophisticated outdoor soirée, a summer party is a chance to make memories that will last for years to come.
It can also serve as an opportunity to up your hosting game and try out new recipes. After all, nothing says festive quite like fun, creative cocktails.
This week, the Hostess Next Door Vanessa Cantave is in the LittleThings kitchen to share some of her happy-hour favorites. First, she puts a seasonal twist on a typical winter beverage with her watermelon Moscow mule.
Though ginger is typically associated with Christmas and snuggling up by the fireplace, it can also add unexpected flavor to a summer cocktail.
Pair ginger liqueur and ginger beer with fresh mint, lime, and watermelon for this refreshing drink. Don’t forget to serve it up with your favorite vodka in a classic copper mug!
Of course, no summer cocktail party would be complete without some kind of frozen concoction, and Vanessa’s cantaloupe colada is guaranteed to hit the spot. This blended drink, which includes rum, lime juice, melon liqueur, and coconut milk, will transport you to the tropics with every sip.
Find the full cantaloupe colada recipe below and remember to SHARE these innovative ideas with your fellow mixologists on Facebook!
- 2 small cantaloupes, cut in half, with the seeds removed
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup rum
1⁄2cup melon liqueur
1⁄2cup fresh lime juice
- For garnish lime wheels
- Begin by scooping out the flesh of the cantaloupe into a blender.
- Make sure to keep the melon in tact, as it will be used to serve your cocktail.
- Add the coconut milk, rum, melon liqueur, lime juice, and sugar into the blender with one cup of ice.
- Blend until smooth.
- To serve, pour cantaloupe mixture into cantaloupe halves and garnish with lime wheels.
- Serve tiki style with straws and drink umbrellas.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.