What is your favorite summertime treat?
For me, nothing says summer quite like a slice of ripe fruit. Growing up, my household was always chock-full of sweet berries and melons during the hottest months of the year.
Fruit is not only packed with essential vitamins, its sweet and refreshing taste lends itself to many desserts. Who doesn’t love drinking naturally-sweetened smoothies by the pool or munching the occasional sugar cookie fruit taco after dinner?
In my home, the favorite fruity dessert has always been strawberry shortcake. I still remember going to the grocery store with my mother in the heat of summer to pick out the ingredients. I would spend what seemed like forever hovering over the berry bins, trying to select the ripest fruit for our baked treats.
And although I have been making strawberry shortcake for years, I have never seen a recipe as scrumptious and creative as this one. This nine-step recipe for strawberry shortcake bars calls for a freshly baked cake, topped off with Cool Whip icing and strawberry slices. Yum!
I wish I had been introduced to this delicious dish so much sooner! To learn how to make it, take a look at the ingredients list and cooking instructions below. For a more detailed, step-by-step guide, watch the instructional video.
Will you give this yummy summer treat a try?
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 8 oz. frozen Cool Whip
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Add the sugar and softened butter to a bowl, then beat together using an electric mixer.
- Once thoroughly mixed, dump both eggs, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Blend again with the mixer.
- Continue stirring, and slowly mix in the flour and milk.
- Fold in the vanilla extract using a rubber spatula.
- Dump the batter into a baking dish and smooth over using the rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Chop 2 cups of fresh strawberries.
- Scrape the frozen Cool Whip and cream cheese into a second bowl. Mix thoroughly, then spread over the cooled cake.
- Evenly distribute the strawberry slices over the icing, then refrigerate for 3 hours before cutting and serving.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.