Salad is a go-to when you want something healthy, but it can prove difficult to find tasty new ways to spruce up your greens. Everyone has a tried-and-true salad recipe that they love to order but, after a while, even our favorite salad combos can feel repetitive and start to taste bland.
On this week’s episode of Hostess Next Door, chef Vanessa Cantave is sharing her favorite way to add flavor to a baby spinach salad. With a tangy homemade dressing made from apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and bacon fat, Vanessa’s spinach salad is guaranteed to add a delicious twist to your usual lunch routine.
To complement her warm bacon dressing, Vanessa tops her spinach salad with sliced bacon and hard-boiled Eggland’s Best eggs. With such a piquant dressing, you don’t need many additional toppings for this salad to be a masterpiece — but feel free to add whatever you like to make this recipe entirely your own.
Vanessa’s recipe just goes to show that eating healthy doesn’t have to mean sacrificing flavor.
Check out Vanessa’s recipe below, and don’t forget to SHARE this bacon-infused creation with friends and family on Facebook.
thick-cut bacon, cut into
- 10 oz. baby spinach
1⁄4cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps. sugar
1⁄4cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Eggland's Best hard-cooked eggs, peeled and grated
- In a heavy cast-iron pan, cook bacon for 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat, until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate, and pour out all but 1/4 cup of the remaining bacon fat.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and sugar for 3 minutes, until onion is softened.
- Immediately add the vinegar and mustard, and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Remove the pot from heat.
- Divide the spinach evenly among individual bowls.
- Top with the warm dressing, bacon, and grated eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.