There are so many different ways to enjoy breakfast. On busy mornings, scrambled eggs with toast can make it easy to get out the door quickly. But on lazy mornings, baking something cozy is the way to go.
For those mornings when you have some extra time to bake something special, chef Vanessa Cantave has come up with a sweet recipe that will start your day off right.
On this week’s episode of Hostess Next Door, Vanessa is sharing her recipe for strawberry coffee cake: made with crumbly layers of pastry and filled with Smucker’s® Fruit & Honey™ Strawberry Fruit Spread.
Coffee cake is delicious in any form and flavor, but the Smucker’s® Fruit Spread in Vanessa’s strawberry coffee cake adds a hint of sweetness that gives it a perfect balance. If you want to switch up the flavor of your coffee cake, you can even try experimenting with other Fruit Spreads, like Blueberry Lemon or Triple Berry. It’s really that simple!
For a complete breakfast spread, try serving Vanessa’s strawberry coffee cake with fresh fruit and flaky triple berry turnovers. No matter what you serve your coffee cake with, your family will be in breakfast heaven!
Check out Vanessa’s coffee cake recipe below, and make sure to SHARE this cozy recipe with friends and family on Facebook!
- nonstick cooking spray
1⁄2cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. baking powder
1⁄8tsp. ground nutmeg
1⁄2cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
3⁄4cup Smucker's® Fruit & Honey™ Strawberry Fruit Spread
1⁄3cup finely chopped walnuts
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Cut the shortening into the mixture with a fork until even crumbs form. Reserve 1/2 cup crumbs for topping.
- Whisk the milk and egg until blended. Add the milk and egg into the remaining flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pie plate. Spread the Smucker's® Fruit Spread onto the batter within 1 inch of the edges. Combine the reserved crumbs with the walnuts and sprinkle over the mixture.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.