Doctors Say Son’s Cough Is Fine, Then He Dies Of A Blood Infection Due To Misdiagnosis

by Emerald Pellot
Emerald Pellot graduated summa cum laude from New York University with a degree in Writing & Popular Culture. She worked as Senior Editor of College Candy for 2 years, covering feminism, popular culture, and college life before joining LittleThings in 2015. Based in New York City, Emerald covers a wide range of topics from human interest pieces to celebrity news.

Melissa Mead brought her son to the doctors when he had a bad cough. The mother knew her 12-month-old son William was ill, but doctors told her not to worry.

In fact, she went to the doctors twice after the first time, and each time they told her it was just a cough. Then William began vomiting profusely. William had an abscess in his lung. One day Mead found him dead in his cot due to a blood infection known as sepsis, caused by streptococcus A.

Doctors failed William.

“Just 17 days after his first birthday, William died from sepsis. I found him in his cot. My baby was gone,” Mead said in a heartbreaking video.

“No one mentioned sepsis before William died. The first time I saw the word was on William’s death certificate.”

In the emotional video below, Mead announces she is pregnant with her second child and mourns the thought that the two children will never meet. The mother hopes to spread awareness about the signs of sepsis so that no mother experiences what she did.

According to the Centers for Disease Control these are the symptoms of sepsis:

  • Shivering, fever, or very cold
  • Extreme pain or discomfort
  • Clammy or sweaty skin
  • Confusion or disorientation
  • Short of breath
  • High heart rate

Anyone can contract sepsis but small infants and those over 65 have weakened immune systems and are more susceptible to the infection. Fortunately, when caught sepsis is treatable with antibiotics. William could have been saved if doctors had seen the signs, instead they dismissed a concerned mother.

Please SHARE Melissa Mead’s important message to show others the warning signs of sepsis.

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.