When you’re a kid, there are few things more exciting than getting new toys.
Any child will willingly eat a Happy Meal, but the promise of a toy definitely seals the deal. And savvy parents definitely know the value of the occasional bribe for good behavior.
Of course, if you decide to buy your child a toy, you want to feel confident that it’s safe for kids.
Even if it’s a special treat you don’t buy everyday, you should still feel safe buying it, as long as you get it from a reputable source.
That was certainly the thought process for one young mom, who decided to buy her daughter a chocolate egg with a small toy hidden inside.
The treat was supposed to be a reward, but things quickly turned frightening after the little girl ate most of the chocolate, and got to the prize inside.
To Mom’s horror, the “prize” turned out to be truly terrifying. Read on below:
Staten Island mom Jenna Argento Dapolito didn’t get the surprise she or her daughter were looking for when they cracked open a chocolate egg purchased from a local deli.
Instead, they found a razor blade.
Jenna posted to Facebook about the horrifying experience, writing:
Please everyone do not purchase these surprise chocolate eggs for your children .Emma just opened hers and a sharp razor blade fell out of the egg! The brand is chocoTreasure and it was purchased (sealed at frank & Sal) on Hylan. Thankfully, I caught it before my daughter was injured, and god forbid had ingested it . Calling frank and Sal and asking them to pull them from the shelf.
What they found inside was inside was not a toy, nor was it safe for her two-year-old daughter Emma.
What the pair found was the type of razor blade you find in a box cutter or shaving tool and even worse — it was dirty.
Definitely not kid, or even adult-friendly.
For those of you not familiar with this type of egg, it is covered in foil and is hollow in the middle.
The egg is sealed, and a plastic container, also sealed, is hidden inside.
This plastic compartment is supposed to contain a small toy.
Jenna tells Staten Island Real-Time News,
“I opened the plastic egg, because at two-years-old you don’t really have the dexterity to open it, and handed her the toy that was inside and my daughter handed me back a dirty razor.”
The types of toys that you’re supposed to find in these chocolate surprise eggs are pictured above.
The FDA has been alerted and has told Jenna that they are investigating the case as criminal tampering.
While it’s not clear exactly how the razor blade ended up in the egg, the obvious worry is that someone deliberately hid the blade to hurt a child.
Not so surprisingly, people were glad to know and equally as appalled as Jenna about this discovery.
She makes it clear that “The deli is so great and this had absolutely nothing to do with them. [The owners] were so upset and extremely apologetic. They immediately removed them from the register where they were displayed and said they were going to contact their distributor.”
They also went through each and every egg pulled from the shelves, making sure it was an isolated incident. They didn’t find anymore razor blades.
Luckily, Jenna caught the surprise in time and neither her nor Emma were hurt, but it’s a scary reminder that you can never be too vigilant!
Be sure to SHARE this story with anyone you know who has young children!