One Georgia family has a particularly good reason to be thankful for their puppy this year: she saved all of their lives.
After 10 inches of snow fell in Adairsville, Georgia, in an early December 2017 storm, the Rakestraw family was left without any power. In order to stay warm in the frigid temperatures, they were using a fireplace for heat.
They’d all fallen fast asleep one night when Patricia Rakestraw was woken up by the persistent whimpering and nudging from the family’s dog.
The 11-month-old puppy wouldn’t leave Patricia alone until she woke up. That’s when the grateful dog owner saw what had Patches acting so frantically.
“My dog, Patches, kept bothering me to wake me up. And when she finally did… I saw the red glow in the back of the house and I screamed at everybody [to get out], ” Patricia said.
The house had caught fire and was engulfed in flames by the time Patches managed to wake Patricia up. The family, including their partially blind 83-year-old grandma, all made it out safely thanks to Patches’ heroic efforts.
Patricia says that they evacuated the house just seconds before the raging fire caused the roof to collapse and the water heater to explode.
Isn’t it incredible what dogs will do for their human families?
Don’t forget to SHARE this incredible story with your friends and family on Facebook!
Thumbnail Photo: FOX
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.