When it comes to packing lunch, what is your favorite side item to toss into the brown paper bag?
Usually, I reach for a piece of fresh fruit, a bag of pretzels, or a nutty granola bar. These safe snack choices never disappoint — but sometimes, the lack of variety can get a bit boring.
Luckily, you can substitute these common snack choices for more exciting alternatives. Thanks to the modern inundation of online recipes, making scrumptious and healthy eats is now as easy as ever!
For example, check out this simple recipe for making homemade, natural fruit roll-ups! This creative snack not only tastes delicious and is a blast to eat, but its natural fruit base makes it a healthy option for your kids’ lunches.
Simply create a berry blend, spread it across a baking tray, and pop it into the oven for a few hours. For a creative touch, experiment punching various shapes into the fruit leather using cookie cutters. Kids and adults alike will love this tasty and interactive snack!
To learn how to prepare these sweet treats, take a look at the ingredients list and cooking directions below. Then, watch the video for step-by-step instructions.
Will you give this natural snack a try?
- ¾ cup strawberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsps. sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Mix the strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender.
- Place a colander in a large bowl, then pour the blended mixture through the colander.
- Cover a baking tray with wax paper. Then, scoop the fruit blend onto the tray and smooth over.
- Bake at 170°F for 4 hours.
- Peel the cooked fruit leather off of the wax paper, and place the pieces on a cutting board covered in plastic wrap. Cut both the fruit leather and plastic wrap in half.
- Use cookie cutters to punch shapes into the fruit leather. Then, roll the leather and plastic wrap into a tight bundle.
- Stick them in your child’s lunch sack for a healthy snack.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.