Little Terrance Smith Jr. suffers from epilepsy, meaning he sometimes loses control of his body and falls down.
But there was something different about his fit on the first day of school.
His mother immediately realized what was strange when she looked in his juice box: “I said, ‘What in the world?'”
A dark substance coated the bottom of the apple juice container — it has yet to be identified, but one thing’s for certain: “That’s nasty,” explains Terrance adorably.
His mom was less cute about the situation. “I was devastated. I was very upset. I was livid,” she explains.
School staff was immediately notified, and all the juice boxes like the one Terrance drank were immediately taken away from students. While no other box showed signs of the substance, the school still sent a letter to all parents and informed them of the situation.
There are no other reports of illness, but after Terrance vomited later that night and was rushed to the hospital, his mom wants answers. “The vendor should be held accountable,” she claims.
The school says that they followed protocol to the letter with how they handled the situation, and that the juice box Terrance drank was not expired. Thus, blame has to fall on the manufacturer; reporters have reached out to the company responsible but have not heard back.
Footage provided by WTVR Richmond
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.