celebrity

‘Empire’ Star Jussie Smollett’s Attorneys Say All Criminal Charges Against Him Have Been Dropped

by Caralynn Lippo
Caralynn is a Brooklyn, NY-based editor and writer, with a focus on lifestyle and entertainment content. She has bylines on MSN, HelloGiggles, Business Insider, Romper, Redbook Magazine, and more. In her free time, she enjoys watching (and talking!) about television and fostering dogs through a local rescue.

Jussie Smollett has been cleared of all criminal charges, according to an NBC 5 News report on Tuesday morning.

The Empire actor’s attorneys also confirm that his criminal record will be expunged.

Chicago police previously alleged that Jussie had staged a hate crime attack on himself on January 29, 2019. He was indicted on 16 felony counts by a Cook County grand jury, including filing a false police report.

The attack was reported by the actor to police in January. Jussie said he had been attacked by two men he was unable to identify at 2 a.m. and that they had used racial and homophobic slurs against him.

Chicago police later detained two brothers as “persons of interest” in the attack. Police sources revealed that authorities believed Jussie knew the two men and had paid them $3,500 via check to stage the attack. The 36-year-old maintained his innocence.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” Chicago prosecutors said in a statement, according to CNN.

A spokesperson for 20th Century Fox Television and the Fox network, the studio and network behind Empire, declined a comment on the update.

Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, the actor’s legal team, released their own statement regarding the news. To hear what they had to say about the case’s resolution, watch the video.

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.