LIFE

9 Common Home Safety Mistakes Putting Your Family At Risk Of Deadly Fire

by Jess Catcher
Jess grew up in Oklahoma before moving to New York to become a writer. She has a cat named Agnes.

One of my mom’s earliest memories is seeing her first childhood home disappear before her eyes in a heartbreaking blaze. She was only 4 years old at the time, and almost didn’t make it out safely until her older sister bravely ran to grab her. But it’s obviously something she will never forget.

Dealing with the emotional and financial struggle of getting back on their feet wasn’t easy. My grandpa was a farmer who did odd jobs on the side to feed the big family, but they were lucky to have a church community support them by making meals and donating clothes while they figured things out.

The whole thing started because of a simple mistake, but flames spread fast. That’s why my mom always made sure to emphasize fire safety with me and my brother.

Unfortunately, there are still so many common bad habits people have that could potentially cost them their home — or worse.

Be sure to SHARE these terrible mistakes with your loved ones so they’ll know what to avoid.

1. Walking away from a stove with an open flame

1. Walking away from a stove with an open flame

Nope, definitely not a good idea. Not even for just a second. It takes less than that for a spark to suddenly engulf your entire kitchen.

2. Continuing to use frayed electronic cords

2. Continuing to use frayed electronic cords

I know it’s a hassle to shell out money for a replacement, but it could save you so much more than cash in the long run.

3. Forgetting to unplug dangerous appliances

3. Forgetting to unplug dangerous appliances

Leaving your iron, hair dryer, or even cell phone plugged into an outlet could cause it to seriously overheat and start a blaze.

4. Neglecting your dryer's lint trap

4. Neglecting your dryer's lint trap

I always hate this tedious task, but those fibers can pile up and catch fire when you start your next cycle, so don’t skip that important step.

5. Taking the batteries out of your smoke detector

5. Taking the batteries out of your smoke detector

It’s something we all know better than to do, but when those annoying beeps won’t stop you will do anything to make it shut up. Just make sure you don’t forget to set it right again.

6. Not having a sprinkler system installed

6. Not having a sprinkler system installed

You don’t have to worry about it spraying rooms that aren’t in danger and causing more damage than they’re worth. Besides, as you can see above, that would still be much better than the alternative.

7. Having a space heater close to your curtains

7. Having a space heater close to your curtains

Or any similar appliance too close to anything flammable. You don’t want to end up getting a bit too toasty.

8. Skipping your annual chimney cleaning

8. Skipping your annual chimney cleaning

There’s nothing like a warm fire on a cold winter’s night, but only after making sure all the old soot and ash that piled up last year has left the building.

9. Falling asleep with candles lit

9. Falling asleep with candles lit

They’re a great way to set the mood for you and your special someone, but make sure you douse those flames before you snooze. Otherwise, you might never have those romantic moments to look forward to ever again.

Did we miss any of the most crucial mistakes? Let us know in the comments and SHARE with your friends!