LIFE

Couple Urges Others To Turn Off Outdoor Holiday Lights At Night After Their Home Catches Fire

by Ann-Sophie Kaemmerle
Native New Yorker, University of Virginia graduate, runner, and sometimes stand-up performer.

This is the most festive time of the year, and like many, I look forward to decorating my home. In addition to a Christmas tree, folks love stringing up lights throughout their houses and even outside.

While these lights may look pretty, they can actually be very dangerous. Now, one couple is urging others to turn off their holiday lights at night because of the threat they pose.

Mary Morrison and Danielle Huckaby were woken up in the middle of the night by a houseguest who heard the fire alarm go off. Sure enough, they saw that their porch was engulfed in flames.

As it turns out, it was all because of a single string of lights they kept on overnight.

Danielle, a volunteer firefighter, was able to quickly put out the flames, but the house and shrubbery suffered some damage. It’s fortunate that Mary and Danielle will still be able to celebrate this first Christmas in their home.

Mary said: “We kept them on pretty much all the time really, and we just didn’t think that anything would happen because it’s just one strand. You hear all these fire safety tips saying don’t overload an outlet.”

Danielle gave her safety tips to avoid fires, saying “Unplug your lights at night and remember to change your batteries in your smoke detector once a year, and make sure your fire extinguishers are in date.”

Please SHARE if you want to remind friends and family of these safety measures!

Footage provided by WTVF Nashville

Thumbnail Photo: Twitter / RS

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.