When it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I always run into the same hurdle.
I can take my vitamins, and stay out of the sun, and even trick myself into exercising, but there are a handful of foods that I just can’t give up!
Honestly, my motto tends to be “put more cheese on it,” which is why I’m a goner when it comes to this decadent recipe for cheesy pizza cups!
On the other hand, there is definitely something to be said for an alternative motto: “All good things in moderation.”
High-fat foods like cheese and, my other vice, bacon, don’t have to exit the kitchen entirely, they just need to take a step back occasionally in favor of more heart-healthy recipes.
My current favorite is an amazing variation on a traditional BLT sandwich, but one that swaps all that greasy bacon for an equally flavorful alternative: portobello mushrooms cooked to taste just like the real thing!
Check out the recipe below, and watch our video to see how the magic happens!
1⁄2cup liquid smoke 1⁄2cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- Bread, toasted
- Sliced tomato
- Mix the liquid smoke, maple syrup, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl to make marinade.
- Slice mushrooms into thin slices.
- Marinate mushrooms for 15 minutes per side.
- Lightly fry, cooking for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Toast bread lightly if desired, and spread with mayonnaise or vegenaise.
- Layer lettuce, tomato, and mushrooms between slices of toast.
- Slice sandwich, plate, and enjoy!
And please SHARE this flavorful, heart-healthy recipe with friends and family!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.