Going out to eat at your favorite restaurant is always a treat. You don’t have to plan a meal, go grocery shopping, spend an hour or more cooking a meal, and clean up after. All you have to do is put on a pair of pants and look at a menu.
But, if you don’t choose your restaurants with some discretion, you could end up ingesting some rather unsavory dishes.
Don’t get me wrong — many, many restaurants are squeaky clean and ready to serve you a delicious meal. But there are some managers out there that don’t have enough concern for cleanliness and will cut corners in order to make a profit. Thankfully, the health inspector is there to shut those places down as soon as possible.
These 11 horror stories from real health inspectors are so entirely disturbing that you might end up cooking your own food for a couple months straight.
Did you have any idea it ever got this bad? Have you ever observed something worse? Let us know in the comments and please SHARE with your family and friends on Facebook!
Thumbnail sources: Flickr, YouTube
“I was in a popular buffet chain and couldn’t find the roaches. I looked everywhere. I called my buddy who was a pest control officer. He came in, grabbed a large shop vac and said ‘move fast.’ He lifted off the back of the soft serve ice cream machine, and they poured out like a waterfall all over the floor. We got them all cleaned up. Soft serve ice cream machines all leak and typically, they’re not cleaned well. Hot, wet, and dark is the perfect place for an infestation.” – ilikemonkeys
“While inspecting the fridge, I noticed they had cat food in there. I was preparing to talk to the owner about not feeding strays, but instead, she began talking about how she got a good deal on a pallet and no one could tell the difference. Yeah, she was using it in the tuna melt sandwich. That place was known for its tuna melt.” – TomorrowWendy
“I went out back into the corner of the prep area and got disoriented because one of the walls was ‘waving’ like a flag. I got closer and realized they were actually thousands upon thousands of fruit flies just crawling over each other and covering the entire wall.” – lqdizzle
“We shut down a Chinese place 3 times in as many years. They used to leave frozen raw meat in sinks full of water overnight to thaw. Mice and rats would chew on them overnight. In the morning they would just cut off the chewed bits and serve the rest.” – Reddit User
“This place in Northern Georgia. It was a big ‘fancy’ looking restaurant, kind of secluded near the outskirts of a small town. At some point, a customer is eating his food and his sausage has a bite taken out of it. They complain to the health department and it ended up turning out that the place was reusing food left on customer’s plates.” – theredball
“Nine times out of ten an ice machine has an active and pretty impressive slime mold in it. Just stick your head in and look up.” – ilikemonkeys
“They would bake the pie pastries in the morning and leave them to cool during the day. Later the pie fillings would be added for the final bake. Problems occurred when the cockroaches climbed into the nice warm pastry bases and then had a nice blanket of pie filling added before being cooked in a slow death oven. We closed that place down.” – ElfBingley
“Found maggots in the espresso machine. Owners regularly left milk out overnight and used it in drinks the next day.” – kittensondrugs
“Gum in the guacamole… SHUT DOWN.” – _mickeymyfriend
“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen cooks walk out of the bathroom with their gloves and apron still on. That makes my blood boil.” – ilikemonkeys
“The complaint was that someone’s acrylic nail was on the pizza when it arrived. The person brought the fingernail to the health department in a bag. It was ornate, painted with flowers, etc. Go to the pizza place, begin explaining the situation to the manager. She says ‘Uh uh, nobody around here lost their nail.’ Look at her hand and see the other nine matching nails.” – TomorrowWendy
Will you ever eat at a restaurant with a less-than-stellar health rating ever again? I don’t think I will!
Have you ever experienced anything like these? Let us know in the comments and please SHARE with family and friends on Facebook!