kids

Girl Scout Realizes Grandma Is Choking At Applebee’s, Then She Jumps Up And Saves Her Life

by Lindsey Smith
Lindsey is from Florida and has worked in online and print media. Her happy place is Michaels craft store.

In March 2017, 13-year-old Girl Scout Lila Salay had just learned how to help someone if they’re choking. But days later, she had to put her new life skill to the test when she was out to eat with her grandma and her mom.

“Once dinner arrived I got the hiccups,” Laura, Lila’s grandma says. “I ate a piece of my baked potato and it got stuck in my throat.” At first, Lila and her mom had no idea that the woman was choking but once she started changing colors, they knew she needed help!

“Her face was turning bluish, purple,” Amanda, Lila’s mom says. “It was crazy. I never saw anything like that before.”

Thankfully, knowing how to do the Heimlich maneuver was still fresh in Lila’s mind after learning the skill with her Girl Scouts troop.

“My mom told me that I had to do something about it, and I looked at her like she was crazy,” Lila says. “I had my arms wrapped around her and then when I knew she was just going to be OK, I hugged her.”

Thanks to Lila’s quick thinking, her grandma survived and didn’t need to be taken to the hospital. She was even awarded the Girl Scouts of America Lifesaving Award for her heroic actions. “I am so proud of her,” Laura says. “I don’t know what would have happened if she wasn’t there.”

Footage provided by WJW Cleveland

Thumbnail photo: Flickr / Mike Mozart

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.