It can be hard to pick your favorite part of a Chinese meal, because every flavorful course can seem even better than the last.
However, there is one particular part of the meal I always look forward to — fortune cookies.
There are many theories as to the origin of the fortune cookie, but we can all agree on one thing. Paying your restaurant bill is a lot more fun when it comes with a mysterious clue about your destiny.
But did you know that you can enjoy fortune cookies without having to leave your house? Or better yet, did you know that you can actually enjoy fortune cookies without even ordering takeout? It’s true: You can make an easy DIY version at home.
The best part about making your own cookies is being able to write your own personalized fortunes. These could be themed for a party or event or just designed as a fun dinnertime ritual for your family.
In fact, picking a custom message might even be more difficult than making the cookies themselves. You probably have most of the materials in your kitchen already!
You also don’t need any fancy machines or finger work to be able to fold the cookies like a pro. All you need is a bowl and to watch the below video, which will show you just how easy the technique really is.
Find the recipe below and the rest of the instructions in the how-to video.
- 2 Egg whites
- 6 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Pour egg whites into a mixing bowl and whip until stiff.
- Add the butter, flour and sugar into the bowl.
- Whip until batter is smooth, then transfer two spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Spread the spoonfuls into thin layers of batter with a spoon.
- Place in oven and let batter bake for 8 minutes.
- Write custom messages for fortune cookies.
- Remove from the oven and peel the baked batter off the sheet.
- Carefully fold the cookies right out of the oven while they're still pliable. Don't forget the fortunes!
- Place cookies in a muffin tin to cool and keep their shape.
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.