LIFE

Mom Hears Retching Noise In Back Seat, Then Realizes Daughter Is Choking On Fidget Spinner

ileana by Ileana Paules-Bronet
Ileana is a writer on the Original Content team. She lives in Brooklyn, NY.

Fidget spinners are the latest craze for elementary school-aged kids; they’re huge right now, and some kids have more than one of them.

Every few years, children experiences a major fad — like the Beanie Baby craze during the ’90s — and in 2017, kids are flocking to fidget spinners.

There’s been a lot of commentary in the news on these new toys. Some schools have banned them because they’re a distraction, while others argue that they can help kids stay focused.

At a price point of just $3 or $4, kids can even purchase fidget spinners with their allowance money.

As you might expect, the popular toys are jumping off the shelves. Store owners can barely keep them in stock, and USA Today reports that some stores are even limiting the number customers can buy.

But one mom recently shared her daughter’s experience with a fidget spinner on Facebook, and it immediately went viral.

Read on below to learn more about her warning — and please SHARE with other parents or grandparents.

facebook fidget spinner

Kelly Rose Joniec was in the car with her daughter when she suddenly heard a choking noise coming from the back seat.

She turned around to see her daughter struggling to breathe — she was choking on a piece of her fidget spinner.

After rushing to the hospital, Kelly posted what happened on Facebook.

Within two days, her post had over 61,000 reactions and almost 525,000 shares.

fidget spinner piece

Kelly wrote:

We had a pretty eventful Saturday.

On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving.

Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.

pink fidget spinner

She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance.

She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.

Frantic, I went straight to urgent care where they checked her for choking.

They couldn’t discern where the foreign object was located – along the airway or the esophagus.

ambulance hospital

From there we got the red-light treatment via ambulance to Texas Children’s Hospital.

X-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus.

The GI doctor was fascinated… He’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later.

He’s also an advocate for related child safety in toys, so he took a special interest in the case.

fidget spinner x ray

After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object.

Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…

Not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.

fidget spinner britton

From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents.

Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed.

Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings.

The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.

black fidget spinner

Do you know kids who have fidget spinners? If you do, you should tell them this story to keep them safe.

If you know people with young children or grandchildren, please SHARE this article with them on Facebook!