dog

Couple Ends Up With $900 Vet Bill After Dog Eats The Chocolate Wife Left On Bed For Anniversary

by Emerald Pellot
Emerald Pellot graduated summa cum laude from New York University with a degree in Writing & Popular Culture. She worked as Senior Editor of College Candy for 2 years, covering feminism, popular culture, and college life before joining LittleThings in 2015. Based in New York City, Emerald covers a wide range of topics from human interest pieces to celebrity news.

Amanda Moore and her husband celebrated their wedding anniversary in February 2018. Amanda wanted to surprise her husband, so she left some dark-chocolate candies on the bed in the shape of a heart.

The Kansas City mother would soon learn a frightening lesson.

When she came back into the bedroom less than an hour later, she noticed the chocolates were gone and their tiny wrappers were scattered all over.

Amanda instantly knew their dog, Francie, had eaten the chocolate treats. Amanda and her three daughters thought it was funny for a split second before realizing chocolate is harmful to dogs. 

She and her husband called an emergency vet clinic. When she revealed Francie had eaten dark chocolate, which is more damaging than milk chocolate, Amanda’s husband rushed the dog to Blue Pearl’s 24/7 Emergency Pet Hospital in Overland Park.

The poor dog had to have her stomach pumped. She was given charcoal to absorb what was left, and was then hooked on an IV. The bill was almost $900, but the family feels it was worth every penny to keep Francie safe. Amanda is now sharing her story in hopes that others will be more diligent.

During holidays like Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day there’s an upswing in chocolate incidents with dogs.

Please SHARE this important message with your family and friends on Facebook!

Footage and photos provided by KSHB KMCI Kansas City

CORRECTION: February 14, 2018

An earlier version of this story attributed the footage and photos to KSHB and KMCI Kansas City. They should have been sourced solely to KSHB Kansas City.

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.