There’s nothing like fresh herbs to brighten up a meal and add a serious dose of flavor. While dried herbs do the trick, they’re really nothing compared to the fresh-off-the-plant variety. But that’s just not always possible.
Well, you could always buy fresh herbs and freeze them, like this brilliant cooking trick taught us, or you could take the gardening plunge.
But to have that, you need an herb garden. And to have an herb garden, you need space, or at least a wide-enough windowsill… right?
Not at all! Thanks to this brilliant — and charmingly adorable — DIY project, you can grow a perfect, customized herb garden even in a small space. Space-wise, all you need is a sunny area in which to place it, as herbs need a lot of light.
Read on to see how it’s done, and watch the video to see it in action!
- One large flowerpot
- One small flower pot for each herb you’ll be planting.
- Potting soil
- Heavy-duty garden stake
- Herb plants
- Fill your large pot with soil and tamp down firmly.
- Drive your garden stake into the soil in the center of the pot.
- Now, thread your smaller pots onto the stake through the drainage holes in the bottoms. Arrange them in a staggered pattern.
- Fill the small pots with soil. They should be arranged so that you can fill them easily.
- Plant your plants! Read the labels on each plant, and put the ones that require the most water near the bottom, and the ones that require least near the top, as the water will drain down.
- Place on a dish or tray in a sunny location, and enjoy your herbs!
Watch the videos below for step-by-step instructions, and please SHARE if you know someone with a green thumb!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.