A few weeks ago, I was walking my dog at night when we started to cross the street. A car turning the corner saw me but didn’t notice my dark-gray puppy and almost ran her over. If I hadn’t pulled her back, I would have been rushing my sweet dog to the vet.
Most dog owners have had a similar experience, when someone driving a car doesn’t see a dog. Nobody wants their sweet pets to ever get hurt, so having them get hit by a car, like this dog, is a scary thought for any dog owner.
It can be a completely terrifying experience, but there’s a very simple solution: make your dog reflective!
Bikers and runners who go out at night to make sure they’re wearing reflective gear so cars can see them, so why shouldn’t dogs?
Instead of spending a bunch of money on a reflective coat or fancy reflective collar for your pup, though, just follow these instructions to make a simple DIY reflective bandana!
- Pick out a fabric of your choice — it can even be an old -Tshirt you already have!
- Cut a large triangle with a squared-off top.
- Fold the edges over and iron into place.
- Sew the edges so they won’t fray.
- Attach a webbing strap to a buckle.
- Sew the webbing.
- Stitch the webbing strap into the fabric.
- Apply some reflective tape to the front of the bandana.
Be sure to watch the step-by-step instructions in the video below, then please SHARE with dog lovers everywhere!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.