One day, Meghan Budden was taking care of her baby boy in her New Jersey apartment. She swabbed her nose and discovered black specks in it.
When she tended to her baby boy to feed him, she noticed the same black specks tucked into his nose.
That’s when Meghan put the pieces together. The previous night, she had lit two scented candles. She let them burn for around six hours. She took a second look at their packaging.
On the label, written in small print, was a warning: do not burn more than three hours at one time.
The candles had begun to produce soot, a dangerous substance. Candles are not dangerous as long as the instructions are carefully followed on the label.
According to the National Cancer Institute, “Exposure to soot was first associated with skin cancer of the scrotum among British chimney sweeps in 1775. Since then, many studies have found that chimney sweeps have an increased risk of scrotal and other skin cancers. Studies of chimney sweeps in several European countries have also found associations with other cancers, including lung, esophageal, and bladder cancers..”
While she and the baby are perfectly healthy now, had Meghan continued to burn candles for extended periods of time, she would have been putting her health and her son’s health at risk. Experts recommend regularly trimming your candle’s wick and burning for only a few hours.
For more information on this important subject, watch the video below.
Please SHARE this message with anyone you know who uses scented candles!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.