MRI Scan Shows How A Burger From The Grill Could Land Consumers In The Emergency Room

by Amy Paige
Amy is the Director of Trending Content at LittleThings. After graduating from Florida State University with a creative writing degree, she moved straight to New York City to pursue a career in the arts. She loves discovering and sharing viral videos, watching movies with her Muppet-like poodle mix named Cali, and doing the robot whenever possible.

With summer in full swing, countless families will celebrate by firing up the barbecue. Experts are saying the burgers and other foods cooked off the grill could land consumers in the emergency room, but for a reason you may not expect.

The wire brushes used to clean grills pose a potential danger that has landed many people in the hospital. Home improvement expert Ron Hazelton told Inside Edition that if a grill brush has been used for an extended period of time, the bristles can break off and get stuck on the grates. “The food that is then put on the grill picks up the bristle and it’s ingested, and that can cause some fairly serious problems,” Ron said.

These bristles can puncture the esophagus and stomach — and as you’ll see, one single wire bristle can show up on an MRI.

According to TODAY, barbecue brushes caused an estimated 1,698 emergency room visits from 2002 to 2014.

Watch the video below to learn alternatives to the standard grill brush so you and your family can be safer this summer.

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.