Every week on LittleThings’ Facebook Live show Slice, we challenge food experts to create delicious and easy-to-make dinners for less than $12. This week, Chef, cookbook author, and food writer Pat Tanumihardja has come to the LittleThings kitchen to put her skills to the test.
Pat was born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore. It’s her multicultural background to which she attributes to her love of food and self-described “eclectic culinary aptitude.”
Today, Pat will be making a turmeric stir-fry with zucchini and carrots with rice. The dish is inspired from her mother’s Indonesian cooking and the recipe can be found in Pat’s book, Farm to Table Asian Secrets — Vegan and Vegetarian Full-Flavored Recipes for Every Season.
Pat tells LittleThings, “My mom used to make a similar stir-fry dish with egg, green beans and carrots when I was growing up called ‘orak arik’ — so cute, right?” I think we can all agree with Pat.
Now, without with further ado, here is the breakdown to prove that Pat can whip up this delicious dish for much less than $12.
- 2 cloves of garlic – .50
- Shallot – $1
- 2 carrots – .89
- Zucchini – .90
- 2 eggs – .25
- 2 scallions - $1
- Celery leaves or cilantro – $1
- White rice – $2
- Total = $7.54
You will also need a few items that are probably in your pantry, such as vegetable oil, turmeric, sea salt, and black pepper.
Be sure to SHARE this low-cost, high-flavor recipe with your friends on Facebook!
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
1⁄2cup Shallot or red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Medium sized carrots, cut into match sticks
- 1 Medium sized zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1⁄2teaspoon Fine sea salt
1⁄4teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 2 Scallions, green parts only, chopped
- Handful Cilantro or celery leaves for garnish
- Swirl the oil into a large wok or nonstick skillet and set over medium-high heat until simmering hot. Add the garlic and shallots, followed by the turmeric.
- Stir and cook until the paste is fragrant and darkens in color, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and zucchini and toss to coat with the paste. Stir and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the egg over the vegetables slowly and cook undisturbed until it starts to set, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Break up the egg into large curds and mix into the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir and cook until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Stir in the green onions and taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary and scoop into a serving bowl. Top with celery leaves and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!