I don’t have that big of a sweet tooth, but when it comes to desserts, I love looking for foods with a slight tang, like lemon bars, chocolate chip mint cookies, or carrot cake.
Carrots have been mixed into sweet cakes since the medieval times, and first became widely available in the United States in the 1960s.
In an exclusive recipe below, we share steps to making adorable carrot cake thumbprint cookies — perfect for a quick afternoon snack. You’ll need quite a few ingredients for this recipe, but you’ll probably have most of them on hand in the kitchen or spice cabinet.
Not only are these cookies subtly sweet and perfectly bite-sized, they’re also incredibly healthy, as carrots are super rich in vitamins A, C, K, fiber, and potassium.
Scroll on for the full cookie recipe, and then watch the video below for inspiration.
Will you be trying your hand at whipping up these adorable thumbprint cookies? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Please SHARE this lovely springtime cookie recipe with friends and family!
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 cup flour
3⁄4tsp. kosher salt 1⁄2tsp. cinnamon 1⁄2tsp. ground ginger 1⁄3cup granulated sugar 1⁄3cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted + 4 Tbsps. butter at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
3⁄4cup old-fashioned rolled oats 1⁄4cup golden raisins, chopped 3⁄4cup pecans, finely chopped 1⁄4cup powdered sugar
- 2 oz. cream cheese
1⁄2tsps. apricot jam
- Pulse carrots in a food processor, until finely shredded. Measure out 3/4 cup.
- In a bowl, add flour, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, add white sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, and egg yolk. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in batches, stirring in between.
- Mix in oats, raisins, and carrots. Combine well, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in pecans to coat.
- Place balls on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 °F.
- Remove from oven and indent the center of each cookie. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat 4 Tbsps. butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in cream cheese until combined, then swirl in jam.
- Pipe this filling into the center of each cookie.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please SHARE if you love creative ideas for springtime dessert recipes!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.