There is nothing that goes together quite as well as a warm pastry and a scoop of cold ice cream.
Ice cream by itself gives us a bad case of brain freeze, but paired with a flaky pastry base, it’s the perfect after-dinner treat. Plus, mellowing the chilliness of ice cream out with a pastry bowl makes it an appropriate dessert for any season.
There are so many ways to pair ice cream and pastries — like a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on a slice of pecan pie — but my current favorite way to consume ice cream is in a brandy basket.
Traditionally, these sweet baskets of English origin are made with brandy, but our recipe eliminates alcohol so that guests of all ages can enjoy!
With ginger and honey in the basket base, these treats are great for serving at holiday celebrations or festive fall dinners. Once the brandy baskets are baked and shaped, all you have to do is put out some ice cream offerings and let your guests decide what flavor ice cream they want to fill their brandy basket with!
Check out the ingredients and instructions below for our alcohol-free brandy baskets, then watch the video to learn how to make them!
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
1⁄3cup golden honey
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ice cream
- whipped cream
- In a bowl, combine the flour and ground ginger.
- In a pan, combine the butter, honey and sugar until melted.
- Add the liquid mix to the flour mixture. Add the lemon zest and mix.
- Scoop 1 tbsp. circles onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Fold the cookies over the bottom of a cup to create a bowl.
- Fill the bowls with ice cream, whipped cream, or whatever you desire!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.