Schools are supposed to be safe havens of learning for our children, not petri dishes that make the students fall ill.
A school in New York had to be evacuated once rampant mold was found inside the building. Several parents are claiming that their children have been mysteriously sick recently, and they are pinning the blame on the fungus.
“They had no issues all summer,” says one mom of her children. “No allergies, no runny noses, no hives, [but] she’d break out in hives. Last year and the year before, I had to take her to the emergency every other week. It only happens during the school year.”
Once spots were discovered on ceiling tiles, tests were run that confirmed the school was heavily infested with black mold. All 600 students, teachers, and faculty members were immediately evacuated.
“I got very scared,” says one young student. “On the loud speaker they said, like, drop everything and get out of the classroom and meet me in the hallway.”
Until the school can be cleared of the mold, all students are being diverted to different school — which parents aren’t happy about either, since fifth through seventh graders will now have to attend a local high school with kids much older than themselves.
One father especially doesn’t like the idea of younger children having to share the bus with much older students. “[Riding with high school students] is not an option, with the smoking and the language and the environment that’s going on.”
Footage provided by WPIX New York
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.