When it comes to guilty pleasure foods, one of my all-time faves is a big platter of crispy French fries, piping hot and straight out of the fryer.
This isn’t something I can indulge in all that often, since deep-fried potatoes don’t offer much in the way of nutrition.
Fortunately, however, a number of enterprising chefs have been looking for new and interesting ways to put a healthy twist on everyone’s favorite spud-based recipes!
While the easiest option is to simply swap it out for its healthier cousin, the sweet potato, some recipes are making a point of totally reinventing the long-time classic, as we saw with this genius “tater tot” recipe that skips the taters in favor of cauliflower.
Now, just in time for French fry lovers like myself, there’s a great zucchini recipe that creates all the crunch and satisfaction of a great plate of fries, but with a fraction of the nutritional no-no’s.
Print out the recipe for these delicious and heart-healthy zucchini fries below, and let us know how yours turn out in the comments!
- 2 zucchinis
1⁄4cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning blend
1⁄4cup flour 1⁄8Tbsp. salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Slice zucchinis into half-inch strips.
- Place zucchini and flour in sealed plastic bag, and shake bag to coat.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip each piece of zucchini into the egg, then roll in bread crumb mixture.
- Space evenly on baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.