No one can resist a classic, but let’s face it — the same exact thing over and over? It gets a little boring. Still, branching way out can feel a little intimidating.
That’s why an unexpected twist on an already beloved classic is just the thing. It’s familiar enough that you know you’ll like it, but different enough to be a little exciting.
Not to mention, it’s always fun to see someone find an unexpected flavor in a familiar-looking snack and say “wow!”
These kinds of twists are really easy to do, and can apply to just about anything, from burgers to pies. The trick is to take something you love, then add something else you love, and see what happens.
That’s the theory behind this take on mozzarella sticks. They look like mozzarella sticks and are just as fun to eat, but they actually don’t contain any mozzarella.
Instead, they have a delicious blend of other cheeses and a savory, crunchy surprise we can all get behind: bacon!
Check out the recipe below and watch the video to see how we made ours. As always, SHARE this idea with anyone looking for a new take on a favorite!
- 1 cup cream cheese
1⁄2cup bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup white Cheddar
- 1 cup yellow Cheddar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- flour, for breading
- 1 egg
- bread crumbs
- cooking oil for frying
- Combine cheeses, bacon, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir with a spatula until even.
- Line a square baking pan with waxed or parchment paper.
- Scoop the cheese mixture onto the paper, and spread out as evenly as possible with spatula.
- Freeze 30 minutes.
- Slice frozen cheese into long strips, then slice in half, crossways.
- In separate bowls, put about a cup each of flour and breadcrumbs, and in a third, whisk up the egg.
- Dip each stick in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Fry in about 2 inches oil at 350 °F for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, then serve with dipping sauces and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.