Couple Leave Own Wedding When Baby Gets Terrifying Virus, But She Didn’t Get It From Them

by June Rivers
When she's not blogging for the 'net, June loves cuddling with her cats and reading in her library at home.

On July 1, 2017, Nicole and Shane Sifrit gave birth to their beautiful baby girl Mariana. The delivery went without a hitch, Mariana was discharged 100% healthy, and Nicole and Shane were on cloud nine.

Just seven days later, the elated Des Moines couple got married. But what was supposed to be the second-best day of their lives quickly turned into a nightmare.

Nicole and Shane had to leave their wedding after just two hours. They noticed their 1-week-old daughter was exhibiting some strange behavior. She had stopped eating and wasn’t responding after several attempts to wake her.

The newlyweds rushed Mariana from their wedding to the hospital, where she was quickly diagnosed with meningitis HSV1, or cold sore virus, which is easily spread and potentially life-threatening.

However, neither Nicole nor Shane possessed the virus. Mariana contracted the disease from a third party, making the source incredibly difficult to identify. The baby could have contracted the illness from someone kissing her. Still a newborn, Mariana was been highly susceptible to infection.

Within two hours of arriving at the hospital, the baby’s organs started to fail. She is currently on life support in the University of Iowa hospital with medical teams providing her with around-the-clock care.

Nicole and Shane are desperately trying to stay strong for their daughter. Now, they’re sharing their story to warn other parents. “Keep your babies isolated,” Nicole told WHO TV.

“Don’t let just anyone come visit them. Make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don’t let people kiss your baby and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby.”

If you would like to help the Sifrit family in any way, please visit their GoFundMe page.

Please SHARE this family’s important story with your friends on Facebook.

Footage provided by WHO Des Moines

Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.