Attention, arachnophobes: You’d be wise to stop reading right here.
People reports that a Brentwood, Tennesee, woman named Angela Wright is recovering after being bitten by deadly brown recluse spiders that infested her apartment.
On June 21, Angela woke up with arm pain and noticed tiny bites all over her arms and legs. She went to the doctor, received medication, and assumed she’d be fine from there on out. But just a few days later, she started feeling like she was hallucinating and had to be rushed to the emergency room, where doctors eventually confirmed that she’d been bitten by multiple brown recluse spiders.
“I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t move and I could barely swallow,” Angela told WSMV.
“[The doctors] said I was forming bubbles in my lungs, which could have caused pneumonia, and they said if I would have waited a few more hours or maybe until the next morning if I would have made it, I would have had a stroke.”
Brown recluse spider venom is nothing to mess around with: It contains a neurotoxic component that destroys the tissue surrounding a bite and produces symptoms including bloody urine, fever, joint pain, rash, nausea, and, in rare cases, convulsions and death.
Angela will have to take blood thinners for the rest of her life to prevent blood clots, she told People.
“[Doctors] said I shouldn’t have kids, because I could form another clot,” she explained.
Angela informed her apartment complex of her spider infestation after her stint in the hospital. Her apartment was sprayed, but the spiders eventually returned. (Rude.)
“We first kept finding handfuls of them on our ceiling and then a few in our bed,” said Victoria Owen, Angela’s fiancée. There were almost 50 of the venomous arachnids living in their bedroom alone.
Angela is trying to end her lease, but her apartment complex is demanding that she give at least 60 days notice and pay $2,200 to break the agreement. The two are living at Victoria’s dad’s house for the time being.
Said Angela: “This isn’t my problem. I came here thinking this was a nice place to live.”
Can you blame her?
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.