DIY

These 14 Common Plants Could Be Deadly To Little Children Or Beloved Pets

by Paul Morris
Powered by

Fuji Film USA

Paul is a proud Southerner who enjoys long walks in the woods, sweet tea, and watching movies. He’s also an expert pastry chef and will share his rhubarb-berry pie recipe with just about anyone who asks. He loves America and playing with animals of all kinds. When he isn't writing about the things he loves most, you can find him in the great outdoors!

If you live in North America, odds are you’ve seen, or felt, the most annoying plant of them all: poison ivy.

While we’re all aware of the horribly itchy aftermath of coming into contact with this plant, there are many other plants, creatures, fungi, and berries within our borders that can cause pain, suffering, or even in some cases death.

While this should not be considered a comprehensive guide on everything out there, it’s a good idea to warn your children to avoid eating anything from the great outdoors that looks even slightly odd. If there is any doubt, it’s best to avoid it!

Especially with summer vacation just getting going, your kids will be spending a lot more time outside. If you think your child may have eaten one of these plants, it’s best to be safe rather than sorry. Call poison control at 1-800-222-1222 and explain the situation.

There are plenty of plants growing in the outdoors that could be harmful to your dog, too. A thick underbrush or berry that looks harmless could turn out to be anything but; and, when you look a little closer, it turns out you saved your puppy because you’re so well-informed!

Take a look at some of the photos below. Do you know what poison ivy looks like? What’s the worst story about poison ivy you’ve got? Let us know in the comments below!

And please SHARE these photos with your dog-loving and parent friends!

1. Holly Berries: Can cause vomiting. They are especially dangerous when children, who are attracted to the bright, "cherry-like" berries, eat them in large quantities. Ingestion of over 20 berries could be fatal to children.

1. Holly Berries: Can cause vomiting. They are especially dangerous when children, who are attracted to the bright, "cherry-like" berries, eat them in large quantities. Ingestion of over 20 berries could be fatal to children.

If you think your child has consumed anything from this plant remove any plant material still in their mouths and give a small amount of water or milk to drink. Then, call Poison Control immediately at 1-800-222-1222. Do not wait to see if the person gets sick!

2. Morning Glory: The seeds from these beautiful flower can cause drug-like hallucinations.

2. Morning Glory: The seeds from these beautiful flower can cause drug-like hallucinations.

Causing an LSD-like hallucination trip, eating these seeds will be a pretty startling experience. Usually the only solution to this problem is just to wait it out. Back in the ’60s a young man “freaked out,” and accidentally killed himself due to the horrifying nature of his hallucinations caused by this flower.

3. Pokeweed: Some people cook this "poke" and eat it happily. But if you eat it right off the branch, your children run the risk of getting poisoned.

3. Pokeweed: Some people cook this "poke" and eat it happily. But if you eat it right off the branch, your children run the risk of getting poisoned.

The whole plant gets more and more toxic through the year. This very poisonous purple-red fruit fools a lot of people into accidentally eating it every year. Considered a pest species by most farmers, your best bet is to just avoid it as much as possible!

4. Azalea: While beautiful to look at, consuming this pretty flower could have terrible consequences for your pet.

4. Azalea: While beautiful to look at, consuming this pretty flower could have terrible consequences for your pet.

For dogs, horses, goats and sheep, eating just a few flowers could result in the worst and cause pain, weakness, stupor, paralysis, and even death. If you have this plant in your backyard and your dog suddenly begins to seem sick, keep in mind that they could have possibly consumed it when you take your pooch to the vet!

5. Hemlock: This umbrella-shaped plant is famous for its deadly poison.

5. Hemlock: This umbrella-shaped plant is famous for its deadly poison.

The only real solution after ingesting this deadly plant is going to the hospital. Causing horrible pains in the stomach, as well as vomiting and diarrhea, this is not a plant you want anyone you love to get near to. With such deadly results, this plant is world-famous for a reason.

6. Tomato Plant: While not deadly, this plant can cause severe discomfort for your favorite pet.

6. Tomato Plant: While not deadly, this plant can cause severe discomfort for your favorite pet.

The tomato plant is known for causing hyper-salivation, drowsiness, depression, confusion, and weakness; if you’re someone that loves to garden, and you’ve got a pet that might love to eat this juicy red ball, it’s best to find a way to keep the two separate!

7. Nerium/Oleander: Can cause cats, dogs, and even horses to have a number of problems including profuse sweating, tremors, and even cardiac failure.

7. Nerium/Oleander: Can cause cats, dogs, and even horses to have a number of problems including profuse sweating, tremors, and even cardiac failure.

Click the NEXT page for the most common culprits of all!

Please SHARE this important information with everyone you know! You never know when this could very easily save a life!