If you’ve ever fed your dog table scrapes, you may want to reconsider. According to animal experts, dog lovers may be putting their beloved pets in danger by feeding them leftovers.
Elmo’s Kitchen, an animal diet consultancy, has compiled a list of the ten most dangerous foods commonly fed to dogs.
Although chocolate is the most well-known food that is toxic to dogs, foods like grapes, raisins and onions — which are healthy for humans — could cause your dog to become fatally ill and die!
Before you slip some human food to your canine pals, be sure read the full list below, and please SHARE this information with your fellow dog owners.
Chocolate is one of the most well-known toxic foods for dogs. It contains the chemical theobromine, which cannot be broken down by their digestive systems. Small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, but in severe cases, symptoms include hyperactivity, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest!
2. Any Food With Artificial Sweeteners (Soda, Candy, Etc.)
Artificial sweeteners found in soda, gum and candy can cause serious liver damage to dogs because they’re unable to process the sugars.
3. Grapes and Raisins
Feeding grapes and raisins to a dog can be fatal! The fruit causes ingestion and sometimes can result in acute kidney failure.
Dogs should NEVER consume caffeine. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, dogs who ingest caffiene can experience hyperactivity, vomiting, tremors, seizures and sometimes death!
5. Macadamia Nuts
In certain cases, dogs may suffer from a series of symptoms, including weakness and vomiting, after eating macadamia nuts.
Onions are extremely dangerous to your dog’s health. If consumed, the dog is at risk of developing hemolytic anemia, a condition where their red blood cells burst. If the anemia is not treated, the dog can die. Garlic has a similar affect on dogs.
Although avocados have many health benefits for humans, the delicious fruit contains persin, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
8. Cooked Bones
Giving your dog a bone can cause serious health problems. But cooked bones can crack and splinter when your dog starts chewing them. The pieces can get trapped within the dog’s windpipe or tear the dog’s mouth and internal organs.
Wild mushrooms are dangerous for dogs. Once consumed, they can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or death.
10. Fruit Pits and Seeds
Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits are dangerous for pets. The fruit pits and seeds contain toxic cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs. The seeds can also get caught and cause intestinal obstructions. Signs include abdominal pain, lethargy, no appetite, swollen abdomen, fever, dehydration, and shock. Without treatment, death can occur within 3 to 4 days.
If you have concerns that your pet may have consumed a toxic substance, please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately.